Have you wondered why so many people fall sick when the weather changes? Cold, cough, flu and fever are the amongst the most common ‘weather change’ ailments. This usually happens due to dramatic changes in temperature. This shift in the temperature allows viruses, bacteria and other infectious microbes to flourish. Some enter the human body and end up making people sick.
For some, weather change ailments are an inevitable part of life. Try as they might, they cannot seem to break the cycle of seasonal infections. These people usually have low immunity and fall sick 3-4 times a year.
The good news? It is possible to avoid falling sick when the weather changes by boosting one’s immune system. And these 6 tips will tell you how –
- Wash your hands regularly: To avoid falling sick, it is important to keep harmful micro organisms from entering your body. Therefore, it is important to wash your hands regularly, particularly before eating or cooking. Even better, make it a point to wash your hands with soap 4 times a day.
- Eat a healthy diet: A good, healthy diet is the cornerstone of a strong immune system. A system that is capable of fighting diseases and viruses. Therefore, it is important to add greens, veggies, proteins, fruits, foods containing omega-3 fatty acids, and probiotics like yogurt, to your daily diet. For starters, browse the Healthy Foods section on GoNutrio.
- Get proper sleep: The lesser you sleep, higher are the chances of falling sick. Research has proved that 8 hours sleep is important because when you sleep your immune system starts rebuilding and repairing itself. In other words, when you sleep properly you are giving your immune system the ammunition it needs to fight another day.
- Limit your sugar intake: It is said that sugar exhausts the immune system and lowers your body’s power to fight against infections making it vulnerable. Sugar carts off valuable nutrients from your body and reduces good healthy bacteria from the digestive tract, making you more susceptible. To improve your body’s defence mechanism it is important to lessen the intake of both refined as well as natural sugars.
- Add anti-oxidants and immunity boosting herbs to your diet: In today’s world, almost everything is contaminated – from the food you eat to the air you breathe and the water you drink. This negatively impacts your bodies and over time depletes your immune system. Adding anti-oxidants and immunity boosting herbs such as tulsi, amla, giloy, ginger, and fennel seeds will help in detoxifying your body, thus, giving you a chance to build up your immune system. Take a look at our carefully curated, natural Immunity Support Bundles.
- Avoid trigger foods: Too much intake of junk food, sugar and gluten content food, and alcohol weakens your immune system and lowers your body’s power to fight against infections.
There is no doubt about it – the weather is changing and winter is coming. And as the old adage goes, prevention is better than cure.