Hypertension, generally known as high blood pressure, is a worldwide phenomenon shared by all human populations with the exception of some primitive communities that live in remote and secluded areas. According to the World Health Organisation, in 2014, around 22% of adults aged 18 and over had raised blood pressure.The disease burden of high blood pressure can be attributed to lifestyle factors such as physical inactivity, a salt-rich diet through processed and fatty foods, alcohol and tobacco use.
What Is Hypertension?
Simply put, a person who has a history of elevated blood pressure is said to suffer from hypertension. It is a condition in which the long-term force of the blood against the artery walls is high enough to eventually cause health problems. According to medical guidelines, having a blood pressure higher than 140 over 90 mmHg is stated as high blood pressure. Uncontrolled or untreated high blood pressure can lead to stroke, kidney damage, heart attack, vision loss, memory loss, congestive heart failure and other life-threatening conditions.
Causes And Symptoms
Sometimes referred to as a ‘silent killer’, it has no signs or symptoms, except in its most extreme cases. For most adults, there’s no recognizable cause of high blood pressure, and it tends to advance gradually over years. This is called primary hypertension. Various health conditions and medications can also trigger hypertension, known as secondary hypertension.
Here’s How To Naturally Prevent And Cure Hypertension?
Mother Nature has bestowed us with many wonderful preventive remedies and treatments for high blood pressure. A few lifestyle changes along with these natural remedies can help manage hypertension and significantly improve overall health. Here are some easy home remedies for one to follow:
- Sticking to a healthy balanced diet: A healthy diet consists of fresh fruits and vegetables, high-fiber foods, low-fat dairy products, beans, skinless poultry, lean meats and fish. Reduce the intake of salts, added sugars and saturated fats.
- Drink plenty of water: Make sure to drink lots of water as it helps in getting rid of excess salts from the body, which lowers the blood pressure. Drinking plenty of water also keeps the body well hydrated and free from harmful toxins.
- Regular exercise: Best exercises for hypertension are walking, jogging, cycling, swimming or dancing. Regular physical activity, for at least 30 minutes a day, can lower your blood pressure by 4 to 9 millimeters of mercury (mmHg).
- Losing Weight: Weight loss is one of the most effective lifestyle changes for controlling blood pressure. In fact, one of the major causes of hypertension is obesity and being overweight.
- Quit alcohol and smoking: Alcohol intake and cigarette smoking can raise the blood pressure by several points, and reduce the effectiveness of medications.
- Avoid stress: Stress is known to be one of the major causes of hypertension. Try relaxation methods and avoid situations which could lead to stress.
- Banana: Banana is rich in potassium which helps control blood pressure. Other potassium rich foods include sweet potatoes, oranges, grapefruits, spinach, currants, cantaloupe, raisins and apricots.
- Watermelon seeds: It is one of the best ways to treat high blood pressure whether taken dried or roasted.
- Herbal remedies: There are many herbs which are known to have medicinal properties that aid in lowering blood pressure naturally. Ayurveda has long trusted these herbs to control and cure high blood pressure. These include-
- Garlic- Daily consumption of one or two cloves of garlic is recommended for people with high blood pressure. It is also effective in keeping the cardiovascular system healthy and helps in blood thinning.
- Cinnamon- Cinnamon is a herb that can be easily included in our daily diet, it helps lower blood pressure levels.
- Onion- Studies have shown that daily onion consumption can considerably reduce blood pressure. For best results, onions should be eaten raw as cooked onions don’t have the same effect.
- Hawthorn- It has a long history in prevention and treatment of heart diseases. It is equally beneficial in lowering high blood pressure.
- Flax seed- Research has shown that the level of blood pressure declines upon adding flax seed in your diet. Consumption of flax seeds could result in 50 percent less strokes and 30 percent less heart attacks.
- Celery seed- Celery is a diuretic herb which has long been used to treat blood pressure.
Despite the advances in medical science there is no permanent cure for hypertension, but managing blood pressure naturally is not rocket science. All it takes is simple changes in your lifestyle to beat this life-altering condition. Because there is a way only where there’s a strong and nudging resolution.
#hypertension #highbloodpressure #bloodpressure #homeremediesforHPB #naturalremedies #silentkillerHPB