India is known as the “diabetes capital of the world” with over 62 million people diagnosed with diabetes. Doctors opine that sedentary lifestyles, excess consumption of unhealthy food (junk food to be precise), and addiction to smoking and drinking, are to be blamed for the development of this dreaded disease. What’s worse – some estimates state that over 1 million people in India die every year from Diabetes.
If you are one of those diagnosed with diabetes or are worried about being affected by it because of a family history, you should know that there are natural ways to treat this health condition. Yes, diabetes can treated and even cured with Naturopathy.
For those who are new to Naturopathy, it is a type of alternative medicine, which is based on the theory that diseases can be treated or prevented successfully without using allopathic medicines. It makes use of techniques like following a strict and healthy diet, exercise, and massages.
As per the principles of Naturopathy, individuals are diagnosed with diabetes because of unhealthy lifestyles, congenital problems, pathological causes, build-up of toxins in the body, and hereditary factors. This article will give you information on Naturopathy treatments for Diabetes and what to expect from it.
Types of treatment when diagnosed with diabetes
When an individual is diagnosed with diabetes, different types of Naturopathic treatments can be administered. These include –
- Diet therapy: This therapy is administered to regulate blood sugar levels. In this therapy, certain vegetable and fruit juices are prescribed to the patient, which helps keep the blood sugar levels in balance
- Hydrotherapy: In this form of therapy, a combination of baths, packs and warm water enema are administered. This therapy helps in improving the metabolism of the patient, enhances the body’s capability to use glucose, controls blood sugar levels, and the enema helps in cleansing toxins from the colon, thus detoxifying the whole system.
- Mud therapy: This is another popular treatment method that is used for treating patients with diabetes. This treatment helps in eliminating the toxins from the body and rectifies the imbalances in the digestive and endocrinal systems (which are usually under-active in diabetics).
- Yoga: With Yoga, various asanas helps in improving the functions of the liver, pancreas and digestive system, which is important for treating diabetes. Some of the asanas that are prescribed includes:
- Merudantasna (utthitapadasana)
- Vipareeta karani Mudra
- Kati Chakrasana
- Udhva Hstottansana
- Pada hastasana
- Ardha Matsyndrasana
- Surya Namaskar
- Sukhshma Vyayamas
Besides these, chromo therapy, heliotherapy, pranayam and kriyas are also recommended to patients depending on their condition.
Necessary lifestyle changes
It is a must for individuals diagnosed with diabetes to change their lifestyle completely if they want the treatment to work for them. It is mandatory to adhere to a low carbohydrate diet and eat lots of greens and fruits low on the glycemic index. Doctors will guide patients regarding the changes such as the dietary plan, and when, what and how much to exercise on a daily basis. Patients will be provided with a set of daily activities that needs to be followed without fail.
How quick can a change in the sugar levels be expected?
How fast will patients see a difference in their blood sugar levels? The answer to this is that the duration for measurable changes to take place varies for every individual. It is dependent on a few factors such as:
- Length of the disorder
- Changes in their lifestyle
- Effect of medications
- The general health status of the individual
- His/her natural healing capability
If all of these factors are in sync, he/she will be able to witness changes from the first week of starting the treatment. One of the most important things that need to be kept in mind is strict adherence to the instructions given by the Naturopath.
Naturopathy treatment is natural, and is prescribed depending on the ailment of the individual and is administered with continuous monitoring. Therefore, there are no side-effects of this treatment. However, in order to enjoy the benefits of this treatment and live a happier and healthier life, you must maintain a healthy lifestyle i.e. eat right, exercise hard, maintain your weight, and stop smoking and drinking. Of course, leading a healthy lifestyle will help in keeping ALL diseases at bay.