Today, I am sharing my mother’s innovation of making dosa without rice. Rice no doubt is a staple food of India, but it does come polished and refined these days. Hence, its nutritional value is lower than millets. So, this is an inspiring recipe made with Kodo millet which substitutes the function of rice in dosa.
Soaking Time: 2-4 Hours
Fermentation Time: 7-8 Hours
How to Make the Batter?
- Wash and soak all ingredients for 2-4 hours.
- Don’t add too much water to soak the ingredients. Add just enough water so that a thin layer of water covers the grains. We do not want to lose the vitamins and minerals by throwing away this water.
- Grind them to a fine paste and keep the batter to ferment overnight.
- 1 To begin with add some drinking water (less than 1 cup) if the batter is very thick.
- 2 Heat the pan, drizzle some oil and pour the batter as you do for other types of dosas.
- 3 Cover the dosa with a lid, so that the steam heats up the layer facing the top.
- 4 Drizzle some more oil and cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- 5 Serve warm with your favourite chutney or sambhar.