If you are passionate about fitness, you have to read about these 10 foods that boost stamina and endurance. After all, fitness is 80% diet & 20% exercise.
Mint, a herbal wonder, well known mouth and breath freshener that is scientifically known as Mentha, has more than two dozen species and hundreds of varieties. It also contains remarkable medicinal properties that are very useful for the general health. Nowadays, it is being used in toothpaste, chewing gum, breath fresheners, candy, and inhalers.
Mint consists of a unique flavour and aroma with a cool aftertaste, which is generally used in sweet and savoury dishes such as teas, beverages, jellies, candies, ice creams, and lamb dishes. Mint essential oil and menthol serves as the main flavouring ingredients in breath fresheners, antiseptic for mouth rinses, toothpaste, and chewing gum. Menthol is also used for medicinal treatments as short-term relief of minor sore throat, an antipruritic to reduce itching, a topical analgesic to relieve minor aches and pains, and as a decongestant.
There are many different types of mint, but they share one main characteristic: broad, green leaves that release a menthol scent when bruised.
Types of Mint:
- Peppermint (Mentha × piperita): The oldest and most popular flavour of mint family, which is generally used in iced teas, chewing gums, ice creams, skin care products etc.
- Spearmint (Mentha spicata): The aromatic flavour of spearmint, which is generally used in iced teas, toothpaste, shampoos, soaps etc.
- Pennyroyal or Squaw Mint (Mentha pulegium): It is the smallest of the mint family with stronger and far more pungent taste and odour than others, commonly used as insect repellent.
- Apple Mint or Wooly Mint (Mentha suaveolens): It is the vigorous aromatic flavoured mint, generally used in jellies, sauces, for flavoured teas etc.
- Corn Mint or Wild Mint (Mentha arvensis): It may be used dried or fresh for teas and culinary purposes, and also to get rid of rodents and insects.
- Water Mint (Mentha Aquatica): The strongly scented mint similar to peppermint, but it is strongly recommended for digestive problems.
- Horsemint (Mentha longifolia): It is generally grown in wet and damp areas and is commonly used as a substitute for peppermint. It consists of strong antiseptic properties.
Mentha,Indian name- Pudina,Black Peppermint, Brandy Mint, Extract of Mentha Piperita, Extract of Peppermint, Extract of Peppermint Leaves, Extract of Peppermint Leaves, Extrait de Feuilles de Menthe de Poivrée, Extrait de Mentha Piperita, Extrait de Menthe Poivrée, Feuille de Menth
Is Mint oil safe for infants and children?No, Mint oil is not safe for infants and children and should definitely be avoided near the nose as it can lead to breathing problems.
Which are the most important common species of Mint family?Peppermint and Spearmint are the most common and generally used herbs from the entire mint family.
There are many herbs that act as herbal decongestants which reduce nasal secretions and work by opening up clogged nasal passages to ease breathing. These herbs provide relief from sinusitis, common cold and other common respiratory ailments. A blend of powerful herbal decongestants can prove very effective in removing these uncomfortable sympto
Common cold is caused by a virus called rhinovirus that affects the nose. It can also involve the sinuses, bronchial tubes and ears. The common symptoms of a cold are runny nose, sore throat, hoarseness, feverishness and chilliness. A mild cold resolves in a day or two while a severe cold may take up to 2 weeks.
latest blogs / ArticlesView all
The fresh and sweet smelling Lavender Essential Oil offers a plethora of benefits. Here is how to use this essential oil and reap its benefits.
Here is an infographic of 10 Essential Oils for everyday use and their benefits. Incorporate them in your everyday life and enjoy their benefits.
Not sure about how to choose and use essential oils? This article covers all the basics including common essential oils and their uses, and safety tips.
Asthma 101 - What You Need to Know What is Asthma? Asthma is a chronic respiratory disease in which the air passages are inflamed, resulting in narrowing of the airways…
Community threadsView all
I have been asked to have Ashwagandha as a natural anti-inflammatory herb. However, different produ…
- 1 month ago
- Akhtar Jalaludheen
Complete this sentence in less than 100 words. My health resolution for 2017 is to…
- 2 months ago
- Rahul Siwal
How do I manage type 2 diabetes using natural and herbal products?
- 2 months ago
- Akhtar Jalaludheen
Eating greens like wheat grass is supposed to have multiple health benefits but not sure. Can someo…
- 6 months ago
So how well do you #knowthybody? Do share some interesting facts about the human body.
- 7 months ago