Insomnia: What, Why and How to Deal with it What is Insomnia? Insomnia is a condition in which an individual has trouble falling or staying asleep, or both. It is…
Punarnava is a medicinal herb plant that is found all over India. Being a nutrient-rich herb it is widely used as a vegetable in African and Asian countries. Derived from the Hindi words ‘Punar’ which means again and ‘Nava’ which means new, Punarnava is reputed as a healer herb that holds superb medicinal properties. It is believed that this herb renews and rejuvenates the body systems hence the name Punarnava. In Ayurvedic texts it is regarded as a tridoshnask that helps to subside all the three body humors i.e. Vatta or air, Pitta or fire and Kapha or phlegm.
Punarnava is an excellent herb for the treatment of liver problems, jaundice, swelling and edema. Sweet and pungent in nature, Punarnava has a unique healing effect on the human body and is widely used as a natural liver toner. This herb deserves special mention for the effect it has on jaundice as since ancient times, Punarnava has been used effectively in the treatment of jaundice. It is known to improve kidney function and its diuretic properties help to detoxify the body and cure dropsy.
- Punarnava acts as a natural toner of the liver. It is the herb of choice when it comes to treating liver disorders like jaundice, hepatitis, sluggish liver etc. Punarnava purifies the blood, reconditions the liver, and helps in increasing the basic hemoglobin content of an individual.
- Punarnava is a diuretic herb and improves the functioning of the kidneys. Taking Punarnava’s seeds regularly can rid you of kidney stones and gallstones. Apart from this, it is quite useful in treating different diseases of the urinary tract like formation of urinary stones and dysurea.
- Punarnava possesses anti-oxidant properties and is recommended as a natural immunity booster. Drinking a solution made of powdered roots is known to stimulate milk production in the breasts.
- The herb Punarnava is used to combat joint pain and oedema. A paste of the herb when applied over swollen parts of the body can provide relief from pain and oedema especially in the case of patients afflicted with Arthritis.
- The root poultice can be applied to heal abscesses, ulcers and cure skin infections. The root powder cures respiratory diseases and helps one get rid of stress.
- Punarnava also has anti-toxicological properties thus it can be used both externally as well as internally in case of sting by poisonous animals, insects and reptiles like snakes.
- Liver diseases
- Joint pain
- Kidney stones
- Skin problems
- Respiratory diseases
Boerhavia Diffusa,Red spiderling,Punarnava, Ghetuli, Tambadivasu, Mukaratee -Kirei, Vakhakhaparo, Dholia – saturdo, Sathi, Punarnava,Spreading Hogweed, Spreading Hogweed, Tar Vine, Hog Weed, Pig Weed, Horse Purslane, Boerhavia diffusa
Which part of the Punarnava plant is generally used?The root, seed and infact the entire herb is generally used for medicinal purposes.
What is Punarnava ayurvedic descriptions?The ayurvedic descriptions of Purnava are:Rasa (taste): bitter, sweet, astringentVirya (action) : heatingVipaka (post-digestive effect): pungentDoshas (constitutions): It can balance all the three doshas especially kapha, but it may aggravate pitta if used in excess.
Detoxification is the process of removal of impurities and toxins from the body. Dandelion root, milk thistle, burdock and green tea are good detoxifiers. Consuming Vitamin C is also a good idea as it enables the body to produce a compound called glutathione which helps remove toxins and detoxifies the body.
Swollen joints or inflamed joints result due to an inflammatory disease or injury to the affected joint. Joint inflammation swelling can be accompanied by other symptoms such as pain, stiffness, redness, tingling and loss of motion in the joint. Arthritis is one of the most common reasons of swollen joints.
latest blogs / ArticlesView all
Do you toss and turn all night and keep checking the time? You could be suffering from insomnia. Here are 6 ways to combat insomnia without resorting to pills.
Junk food is the cause of various health problems. Know about junk food’s affect on the body and how deal with its addiction with this infographic.
If you knew what went into burgers, you would know why you should give up junk food permanently. So, what goes into junk food? And why are they so harmful?
Imbalance in secretion of thyroxine results in underactive or overactive thyroid. Know about the basics of thyroid disease with Thyroid Disease 101 infographic.
Community threadsView all
I have been asked to have Ashwagandha as a natural anti-inflammatory herb. However, different produ…
- 13 hours ago
- Akhtar Jalaludheen
Complete this sentence in less than 100 words. My health resolution for 2017 is to…
- 1 month ago
- Rahul Siwal
How do I manage type 2 diabetes using natural and herbal products?
- 1 month ago
- Akhtar Jalaludheen
Eating greens like wheat grass is supposed to have multiple health benefits but not sure. Can someo…
- 5 months ago
So how well do you #knowthybody? Do share some interesting facts about the human body.
- 6 months ago